Workforce & Talent
Wells County, Indiana is home to a large diverse workforce of highly skilled individuals who have grown up in a culture that prizes hard work and quality workmanship. To sustain that attitude and meet the skills needed by today’s companies, our local school systems and higher education providers work closely with the business community.
Northeast Indiana is in the middle of it all, located just three hours or less by car from Midwest cities including Chicago, Cincinnati and Indianapolis – but with its own unique vibe and easygoing lifestyle.
Here, we offer the opportunity to create your version of the American dream, whether you’re looking to grow your career, family or home.
We’re authentic and neighborly, not because we have to be, but because we realize that only through caring and collaboration can we improve our communities and create a region that is healthy, helpful, supportive, and progressive.
Fort Wayne, the region’s hub and Indiana’s second-largest city, consistently ranks as one of the best places to live in the U.S. and boasts some of the nation’s lowest cost of living. This means you can find and afford a home at any stage of life – with ample options ranging from trendy downtown lofts to lakeside and small-town living across the region.
Resources Available to Your Workforce
- Northeast Indiana Works is the region’s nonprofit workforce development organization that provides public and private financial and employment resources for education and skills training to meet the needs of regional industries.
- WorkOne Northeast career centers provide job leads that match people’s skill sets. They also help people identify careers that best align with their interests and aptitudes.
- A private, nonprofit adult continuing educational organization, the Freedom Academy, believes that education is the key to economic freedom by providing high-quality, cost-effective education. On-site classes provide customized training tailored to meet the needs of individual business, industry, banks, hospitals government, and non-profit organization throughout Northeast Indiana.
Great Educational Opportunities Nearby
The success of our education system in Wells County is a good indicator of the kind of workers you will find here. Our schools are filled with high-achieving students – with graduation rates of 93-97%. They have a lot of options to choose from and many that also provide great opportunities nearby for adult learners to gain new skills or improve their current ones. They include:
- IVY Tech (Indiana Vocational Technical College) Fort Wayne, Kokomo, Marion, or Warsaw, Indiana
- Ball State Univeristy in Muncie, Indiana
- Huntington University in Hungtinton, Indiana
- Purdue University Fort Wayne
- Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana
Workforce Development Training Opportunities
Next Level Jobs is part of Governor Holcomb’s Next Level Indiana agenda to continue the positive momentum of our state. Under his leadership with support from the 2017 General Assembly, Indiana is taking the state’s workforce to the next level with a focus on the high-priority industries and high-demand jobs driving Indiana’s 21st Century economy forward.
Two million Hoosiers need additional training to compete in the 21st Century workforce, and there will be over 1 million job openings in Indiana due to retirements and the creation of new jobs by 2025. Whether you’re a Hoosier looking for a better-paying job or an employer looking for a better-skilled workforce, Indiana’s Next Level Jobs initiative can help.